So I decided to go hang at some chill spot… Can’t say the name before peeps go whistle-blower mode on me 😀 .
Just me, the laptop, my mi-fi, some good drinks and my new beef with Nairaland.
But I won’t bore you with them details…
Let’s get to this review.
This User wey dey craze strolled over to The Blaze Zone at http://blazezone.mybb.im/#
Okay, what’s with that URL?
It’s seriously hard to remember. Are you trying to ensure nobody comes to your site?
You need to change that. ASAP.
Forreal. Don’t let me attack you too much on that.
Get a dot com. No stories.
DISCLAIMER: From looking at your site, I know at some point I’m just going to go off on a rant instead of my usual coordinated organized style. Mainly because you haven’t given me much to work with… okay, I think I’m going to start ranting now. And not the soft lovey dovey type of rant, so beware. You have been warned.
Now, let’s do this:
Okay. your background colours are okay. It’s not sparkling, but it works. You can keep those colours. Now, let’s talk about the issues on ground.
(i) NO tagline visible
I honestly couldn’t tell at one glance what your site was about.
I mean, it looks like a forum but for the most part I’m just confused. It started with that awful URL but let’s leave that one alone.
What is your site about?
Here’s a tip- If you don’t tell us, we won’t know what is about. And we won’t have the patience to stay and figure it out.
When the “Back” button is looking so fly, and just begging to be clicked.
Get a tagline – something that tells us exactly what your site is about.
(ii) Your primary navigation menu
It’s good that you have one.
It’s not good that we don’t know what your site is about, and therefore don’t know what to do with it.
But lemme leave your absent tagline alone.
I feel you need to make your menu a bit more centralized and bolder, ‘cos honestly right now, it doesn’t really stand out much.
I’m not saying Go over the top and make it too big. Just make it more centralized and increase the font size a little bit.
(iii) The area beneath your primary navigation menu
That’s supposed to be your area above the fold. You’re not really using that to the max.
It all started when we couldn’t figure out what your site is about.
Now you’re talking about Announcements, and that we shouldn’t use foul language. What?
And then your “login” or “Register” thingy is too tiny and easy to miss.
You need to use this area above the fold to tell us what to do. This is where you should have a “Call to Action”, you know, like you do now (the login or register thing), except right now it’s more like a “whisper to action”.
Make it more prominent.
I would say you should design it as a button, instead of a link and place it somewhere in the middle. Also, you could try and spice it up a bit. Like for example, instead of “Log in”, you could have there “Enter the zone” or “Get in the zone”.
But I’ll talk more on that later.
(iii) Then you have sections that just go on and on down your page with no topics and just a section on Sports with 4 topics that no one seems to care about.
Forreal, now I’m almost pissed. Why did you ask for a review if your site wasn’t ready yet?
Because to be honest, it really isn’t.
I’m not going to talk much about the rest of what I’ve seen because there are some issues I think are more important than me droning on and on about the rest of your site.
These are the issues/questions:
- Why did you create the forum? Because honestly, you don’t seem to know what your site is about. Only that you probably think because Nairaland was a success, forum business works. Well, I hate to break it to you but just creating another Nairaland- like site is not how to succeed in your online business endeavours. For more on this, check out this review I did on a Nairaland imitator.
- Your forum needs to be about something. Not everything. There is and can only ever be one Nairaland, unless Oluwaseun Osewa decides to stop paying for his hosting. You need to focus on a niche and then become known for that before diversifying. Start small, Dream Big. Remember that.
- Your visitor doesn’t care about you. He/She doesn’t care that you think your idea is amazing. All we want to know is “What’s in it for us?” and we’d prefer you tell us that as we arrive on your site. You need to communicate the benefit to the visitor in prominent areas like your tagline, and the area above the fold.
- Did you start this as a hobby or as a business? Because right now, I don’t see any ads or any thing that shows you have plans to monetize it.
- If your site wasn’t online today, will anybody miss it? Really think about that one because if there’s nothing anyone will miss about you or your business, then it means you’re not delivering value. And if you’re not delivering value, users will not come to your site. Figure out how you want to deliver value. Then you can figure out how to monetize that.
I know.. I know… I’m harsh.
I warned you na. No vex, but you know what I’m saying is true.
Anyway, handle these issues and then hit me back for another review or if you would like me to help you figure out all this online business wahala, feel free to contact me.
Now, if you’re reading this, and you would like me to review your site, post it here.
Another review done. Now, it’s on to the next huzzle.
But make I go chop first.
See ya later.
Author: Tomi Joshua
Tomi is a case.
A bit brash, at first blush. But ultimately, he means well. There are very few things he won’t say or do in the presence of tolerant company (especially when it could make for a good story later).
Tomi is a Doctor, writer, certified inbound marketer (Shout Out to HubSpot), Digital Hustler, and online business addict.
He is most likely to be found dancing to the beat of his own drum, even in accapella.